--- "DO IT YOURSELF" ENTRY ------- PURPOSE: To allow children and adults who are not able to verbally express their basic wants and needs participate in social gatherings by communicating with the use of a portable communication key chain.
MATERIALS USED: Computer, board-making software, printer, laminator (optional), Key chain, scissors, paper puncher
1. Create several picture communication symbols using board-making software.
2. Cut out the symbols and laminate (optional).
3. Using the paper puncher, punch one hole in the corner of the symbol.
4. Loop the key chain ring into the punched hole in the symbol.
5. Attach the key chain to your child’s backpack zipper, belt loop or other convenient spot.
Ways to Adapt this Activity
Use a coil key chain bracelet instead of a regular key chain. Place the bracelet on your child’s wrist for convenient access.
Author: Tots-n-Tech, Ideas to Share, contributed by Project Participate, University of Colorado Health Science Center, Denver, Colorado.