--- "DO IT YOURSELF" ENTRY ------- PURPOSE: To provide an opportunity for children who have difficulty holding and manipulating small items during play, participate in playtime by independently holding and manipulating action figures.
MATERIALS USED: Action figures, poker chips, shower curtain rings, hot glue gun and glue stick
1. Dab glue on each surface of the action figure that will be attached to the poker chip.
2. Mount the action figure onto the poker chip. Let it set for at least 2 minutes.
3. Stand the action figure in an upright position on the table top. Determine where the curtain ring should be fastened on the back of the figure. Hold the curtain ring vertically so it touches both the back of the figure and the table top.
4. Fasten a shower curtain ring to the back of each figure by applying a short strip of glue vertically on the ring. Hold the ring vertically against the glued strip and the table top for at least 30 seconds.
5. Strengthen the connection by applying more hot glue to the sides of the ring that are attached to the figure.
Ways to Adapt this Activity
Make it easier for your child to play board games by adapting game pieces.
Author: Tots-n-Tech, Ideas to Share, contributed by Tech It Easy: Technology for Infants and Toddlers Made Easy, Clinical Center for the Study of Development and Learning, Chapel Hill, N.C.